Default Do you know? Does Costco carry grass fed chicken?

First, let me just intoroduce myself, as this is my first post here. My name is Coffeebeanz and I am the mother of 5. For the past few years I have been slowly makeing changes for the over all better health of my family and the earth. While I am not as far as I would like to be, I need to work within the restraints of our budget. I cook a ton from scratch and even make my own bread from time to time. (I have yet to find a recipe I really stick with) I am working towards a more Traditional Foods type of diet for our family with more local and organic foods when ever possible.
    Anyways on to my question. I have a membership to Costco and am very happy with what they offer. How ever the nearest one is about 45 minutes away. So I only get there about 1, maybe 2 times a month. I have a trip planned for next Monday and was wondering if anyone knows if they carry Grass fed whole chickens? I would really really love to try one, but as of now am unable to locate one. I must admit, all the times we have been there, we never really look at the meat selection. Do they even carry Organic, grass fed meets?

I know this is probably not the right place to post this, but the Costco forum seems to NEVER move.

Coffeebeanz

Supa Fly Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

Default Re: Do you know? Does Costco carry grass fed chicken?

Welcome to Organic Grocery Deals!

I moved your post and clarified your title a little bit, so hopefully our Costco shoppers will be able to help you.
    ~julee~
    "Like" us on Facebook

Visit my blog: D.I.Y. Louisville

Hip Hippy Hippie Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

Costco does carry organic meats, however I've noticed that they don't carry them on a regular basis, at least in my area. I've bought organic chicken there before, but I honestly couldn't tell you if they carry whole organic or grass-fed chickens.

Costco does have a wide variety of other organics, so definitely do the tour of all of the aisles. I know that I can find the best price there on organic chicken stock as well as a few other organic items.

I might also suggest that you give the customer service number for Costco a call. I bet they could connect you to your local store, perhaps even the butcher department, and you could find out what they have in stock so that you don't waste a trip.

Welcome to the board, by the way!

Kristen

Shop fun & inspirational art prints, hand-beaded earrings/statement necklaces, hand-crafted holiday ornaments: http://www.kikiverde.etsy.com
    Check out my blog for recipes, crafty things, and other good stuff:
    http://www.kikiverde.com
    My wishlist (not currently up-to-date): coupon wishes

I buy organic ground beef from Costco. They sell it in 3 1-lb hermetically-sealed packages. It costs a bit more, but it's one of those areas where I feel the extra expense is justified to ensure my family isn't consuming hormones and antibiotics that we don't need. I also use their organic free-range chicken broth, which comes in 6 32 oz containers for $9.39 (the last time I bought it, about a month ago). This is way cheaper than I can buy it in the local grocery stores unless I have a high-value coupon.

Administrator

I haven't seen natural chicken at costco, nor is most of the fish wild caught - lots of farm-raised. I've seen the organic ground beef, but not any whole cuts of beef. The chicken borth chaz mentioned is Pacific Foods Brand (made in my own backyard!).
    Treat the earth well...it was not given
    to you by your parents, it was loaned
    to you by your children.

www.shoppingcarteconomist.com - updated 02/23- Grocery Prices 2009 edition
    organic, organic groceries, coupon database, cage free, free range, whole foods, natural foods, health foods, hormone free, hybrid, bio fuels, organic food coupons, global warming, ecofriendly, greenwashing, vegetarian, vegan, locavore, local foods, community gardens, CSAs

I'm Queen And You're Not Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Administrator

I think grass fed is the wrong term for chicken...I think it is "pastured" because chickens eat more than just grass. They eat bugs, greens, and whatnot.

Free range is sort of the same thing but, not all free range chickens have real access to pasture. They are just supposed to have access to outdoors by law.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by queenofthehivemomof5 View Post
    I think grass fed is the wrong term for chicken...I think it is "pastured" because chickens eat more than just grass. They eat bugs, greens, and whatnot.

Free range is sort of the same thing but, not all free range chickens have real access to pasture. They are just supposed to have access to outdoors by law.

Funny you posted that cause when I read this title again, I thought the same thing and was coming here to post.

I think it's grain fed or free range. Grass fed is for beef.
    Treat the earth well...it was not given
    to you by your parents, it was loaned
    to you by your children.

www.shoppingcarteconomist.com - updated 02/23- Grocery Prices 2009 edition
    organic, organic groceries, coupon database, cage free, free range, whole foods, natural foods, health foods, hormone free, hybrid, bio fuels, organic food coupons, global warming, ecofriendly, greenwashing, vegetarian, vegan, locavore, local foods, community gardens, CSAs

LinkBacks (?)

1. 07-30-2011, 08:46 PM
  2. 02-07-2009, 06:32 AM