Supa Fly Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

HELP Cat poop in my flower bed!

I need to find a way to keep the *&@## neighbor cat out of our new flower bed before hubby uses one of my old bras for a sling shot. Any suggestions? Right now this bed isn't mulched (it's on the to-do list) - do you think that will help? We have other mulched beds, and I've never noticed cat poo in them.

I don't understand those that let their cats wonder the neighborhood. If dog owners aren't allowed to do it, why are cat owners? GRRRR! Don't get me wrong, I'm a cat lover, but if I'm able to keep my cat in, why can't others? Last summer I had to pull my front porch chair/swing cushions in b/c a cat kept sleeping on them and getting them all nasty and I was afraid of tracking fleas back in to my (very)long-hair cat. There's at least 3 cats in our neighborhood that roam, and they all belong to someone.
    ~julee~
    "Like" us on Facebook

Visit my blog: D.I.Y. Louisville

Hip Hippy Hippie Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

Default Re: Cat poop in my flower bed!

What's wrong with the slingshot bra idea?...

I don't know what works- the smell/feel of the mulch might deter them. I'm with you- I can't stand it when cats are left to roam. My brother and I lost a sandbox because the neighborhood cats pooed in it all the time and my mom and dad wouldn't let us play in there anymore. We have a bunch of feral cats in our neighborhood now which I've tried to no avail to get rid of but they keep breeding and having herds of kittens. I don't understand how since one of our upstairs neighbors trapped the females and took them to get spayed and then released them since they weren't able to be adopted. I'm convinced that other people in the neighborhood don't have fixed animals and when they come home preggers they are left out in the wild to fend for themselves. It's really sad. The local cats seem to prefer our dumpster area (neighbor lady feeds them there) and since our patio is closest that's where they take refuge from the rain. It drives me and the dog crazy. Sometimes I come home and it's like Wild Outdoors with all of the darn cats scattering from the parking lot!

But anyway, I'd try the mulch. And I swear I've seen some kind of spray at the hardware store that's supposed to ward off pests because they don't like the smell. I have no idea how safe it is or if it actually works.

Kristen

My blog: http://www.kikiverde.com
    My etsy shop: http://www.kikiverde.etsy.com
    My wishlist: coupon wishes

Will Work for Coconut Oil
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Default Re: Cat poop in my flower bed!

My cats stay out of the garden for doing their business, but they go in the woods and in the sand stored for winter. Here are some of the things I have found in my search:

Plants to use in your beds…(1) The Coleus-Canina plant emits an odor offensive to cats (but not to humans) and deters their presence. Recommendation is to plant them three feet apart around the area to be protected. (2) Common household items may be effective, including the herb rue, either planted or sprinkled in its dry form, orange and lemon peels (cats dislike citrus smells), cayenne pepper, coffee grounds, pipe tobacco, lavender oil, lemon grass oil, citronella oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and mustard oil. (Plants like lavender and peppermint may also work…although peppermint would completely take over a garden). (3) Plant some marigolds in your beds. Cats don’t like the smell.

Other “tricks”… (1) Place rocks around plants. (2) Use lattice, chicken wire, or any other hard placed under mulch to deter digging. (3) Plant catnip in a far corner of your yard away from your flower beds. Or offer some to your cat owning neighbors J

It is the close observation of little things which is the secret of success
    in business, in art, in science and in every pursuit of life. --Samuel Smiles

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
  2. 04-05-2009, 04:10 PM
  3. 09-13-2008, 11:59 PM