Thread: food kozy

HELP food kozy

I would love to learn how to make my own food kozy, as I feel like they are rather simple yet overpriced. Does anyone here have experience with it? Where do you buy the fabric? How do you know if the fabric is "food safe", BPA free, nontoxic, non food leaching, etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Unofficial Spam Catcher
    Trader
    Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Default Re: food kozy

On Kid Konserve it says the food kozies are made of plastic (without BPA and phthalates) not fabric. The lunch sacks and napkins are made of fabric. It looks pretty simple. A large circle and some type of velcro or similar fasteners.
    Use Swagbucks for your search engine and earn FREE Amazon gift cards! Use_My_Referral_Link_Here_And_Get_Started

Forum Moderator for Kroger

Hip Hippy Hippie Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

I've seen various crafty blogs where people have made these, I'll have to see if I can dig up some tutorial links for you tomorrow!

Kristen

Check out my blog for recipes, crafty things, and other good stuff: http://www.kikiverde.com
    Shop my inspirational artwork, signature pine cone decorations, and handcrafted jewelry: http://www.kikiverde.etsy.com
    My wishlist (not currently up-to-date): coupon wishes

Supa Fly Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

Are you talking about the little individual sizes for sandwiches and stuff? Or the bigger ones that hold casserole dishes?
    ~julee~
    "Like" us on Facebook

Visit my blog: D.I.Y. Louisville

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will check out the blog world and see if I can find any vlogs about making the kozies (I'm looking to make them for my kids' snacks and sandwiches). I feel that making them would be super simple, moreover I'm lost as to where to buy "healthy" fabric and how to know if fabric, especially plastic coated fabric, is free of PVC, nontoxic, etc. If anyone has information about buying the fabric, please let me know.
    Thanks so much. You guys/gals rock :)

Trader

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

Entrepreneur

Administrator

In Betz White's book Sewing Green, she has a sandwich wrap pattern (As well as a lunch bag pattern) and talks about using PUL which is what a lot of people use for homemade cloth diapers. It's hard to find in stores, but you can buy it online.

Here are some other tutorials I found after searching through my Google blog reader-- I hope they help.
    The Green Phone Booth: How To Make Reusable Sandwich Wrap/Snack Bag
    reusable snack bag whip up
    angry chicken: snack bags! a sewing tutorial video

Kristen

Check out my blog for recipes, crafty things, and other good stuff: http://www.kikiverde.com
    Shop my inspirational artwork, signature pine cone decorations, and handcrafted jewelry: http://www.kikiverde.etsy.com

Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by kristen.c View Post
    In Betz White's book Sewing Green, she has a sandwich wrap pattern (As well as a lunch bag pattern) and talks about using PUL which is what a lot of people use for homemade cloth diapers. It's hard to find in stores, but you can buy it online.

Here are some other tutorials I found after searching through my Google blog reader-- I hope they help.
    The Green Phone Booth: How To Make Reusable Sandwich Wrap/Snack Bag
    reusable snack bag whip up
    angry chicken: snack bags! a sewing tutorial video
    Thanks for the links Kristen! I totally forgot about the Green Phone Booth even though I subscribe to it.

The tuturial in the 3rd link is also good. I am thinking I might go this route for chips and cookies since we already have reusable sandwich and drink containers.
    Mod for: The Welcome Wagon & Albertsons
    Co-Mod for Printables

Trader

Wow, I'm so glad I read this. I've been planning to sew up some reusable baggies, but I never thought that fabrics have chemicals, BPA, etc. in them. Now I'm off to find some safe fabric to use for a lining.

One of the links that was posted suggested putting a new, clean Ziplock in the inside for the liner rather than trying to find a safe fabric. Has anyone tried/had success with this?

Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by moneysavingdiva View Post
    Wow, I'm so glad I read this. I've been planning to sew up some reusable baggies, but I never thought that fabrics have chemicals, BPA, etc. in them. Now I'm off to find some safe fabric to use for a lining.

One of the links that was posted suggested putting a new, clean Ziplock in the inside for the liner rather than trying to find a safe fabric. Has anyone tried/had success with this?
    Sorry, I haven't actually gotten around to making any yet.

Kristen

Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by moneysavingdiva View Post

I am a bit behind on my sewing and need to start working on DD11's costume (she's going to be Sally Skellington this year ) before I get distracted again with other sewing projects.

Where did you read that part about the ziploc? I looked again and must have missed it.
    Mod for: The Welcome Wagon & Albertsons
    Co-Mod for Printables