Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kristen.c

Thread: Perdue Chicken

HELP Perdue Chicken

So I watch food inc, and saw that Perdue required farmers to raise their chickens in close environment with no light, and fed them lots of nutrients to grow like 3 times faster than the normal chicken. However, we shop at Costco, and usually get the "Perdue All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts". So, are they really all natural? Do you guys recommend it?

Team Edward Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader
    Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Default Re: Perdue Chicken

We were pretty bummed when we watched Food, Inc. as well and saw that about Perdue. Actually, bummed isn't the word. We were really angry because their commercials are SO against what we saw on the movie. That is a hard call, but personally, since seeing that movie, we do not buy Perdue products any longer.
    ~Tammy

Forum Moderator for ~
    Make Your Own Natural Products
    Media ~ News, Books, Movies & Television

"
    I put a capital N on nature and call it my church." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Will Work for Coconut Oil
    Trader

Entrepreneur

I don't usually buy Perdue products, but I have in the past. I can't say that it surprises me though. A commercial's purpose is to make you think that everything about a product or company is just peachy so that you will buy the product or service. They don't want you to know that they hire illegals to keep the cost down or drag the animals across the floor of the slaughter house when they fall...maybe not with chickens, but I'm sure larger animals. The meat industry is a bit disturbing, to say the least, which is a good reason to either eat less or no meat OR to buy from a local farmer and have the animal butchered locally.

It is the close observation of little things which is the secret of success
    in business, in art, in science and in every pursuit of life. --Samuel Smiles

Trader
    Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

A commercial's purpose is to make you think that everything about a product or company is just peachy so that you will buy the product or service.
    Another thing about Perdue's commercials....don't they state that their chickens are fed an all natural diet, with no hormones? Then, I think I read that ~ sure they don't FEED the chickens the hormones, but they inject the eggs with them. Ugh.
    ~Tammy

Forum Moderator for ~

"

If you watched POV on PBS you would be shocked to find out the unfortunate truth about Perdue. Also nature's Promise is a con. Their chicken is not organic or free range.

Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

After watching the movie we ahve decided to buy from a local farmer

Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
    Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

I agree, with onthebeach, I think the best choice is to find a local farmer.

It sure does make you angry though when you think are are purchasing an item that is "all natural" only to find out otherwise. Sometimes the terms used on food products can be very deceptive.
    SAHM to Zachary (7) and Mallory (5)

Visit my ETSY shop for Eco-friendly crafting supplies, childrens craft kits and party favors
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ifallsmichelle

Finder of All Things Free
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by charlescross View Post
    If you watched POV on PBS you would be shocked to find out the unfortunate truth about Perdue. Also nature's Promise is a con. Their chicken is not organic or free range.

What does POV stand for? Unfortunately our local grocer has been bought by Giant/Martins and now only carries Natures Promise Organics!! Any info on them is greatly appreciated

Supa Fly Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Emikat View Post
    What does POV stand for? Unfortunately our local grocer has been bought by Giant/Martins and now only carries Natures Promise Organics!! Any info on them is greatly appreciated
    POV = point of view? It's the documentary series on PBS that has been showing Food, Inc.

I too, would be happy for charles to elaborate on his post, esp since he so passionately has posted it all across our board.

Consumers must make it their resposibility to inform themselves. Manufacturers can not be trusted to tell us the whole truth. However, if a product carries the organic seal, it was been quality assured by a third party. Inasmuch, you must know that organic meat and dairy only means that the animals are privy to certain lifestyle conditions and that their feed is organic. It doesn't mean that they are still not living in deplorable conditions. Inform yourself before you buy. Caveat emptor.
    ~julee~
    "Like" us on Facebook

Visit my blog: D.I.Y. Louisville

That's even more reason for me not to buy it. I stayed away from perdue when I found out awhile ago their chicken has one of the higher concentrations of arsenic in it. Do you know that some chicken companies put arsenic in their chicken feed because it helps kill off bacteria? Yeah, it kills off bacteria AND everything else that gets exposed to it enough.

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

charlescross, I'd love to know where you found out about this! Thanks!

Also nature's Promise is a con. Their chicken is not organic or free range.
    ~Tammy

Forum Moderator for ~

"

One of the farmers featured on PBS POV, 'Food Inc.' and she was controlled by Perdue, had chickens packed tightly together in an enclosed building and many of them were sick and could not stand up under their own weight. They are fed solely corn, which genetically modified (GMO) and controlled by Monsanto. Monsanto has a lot of lobbyists close to Washington so the corn is heavily subsidised in the USA Feeding chickens with corn makes them extra fat. It is pretty obvious to me that they should not be fed corn and chickens were never intended to eat corn. Nature's Promise chickens only say that no antibiotics are used, which is no remarkable claim any longer and it says they are vegetarian fed, they do not claim that they are 'grain fed'. So you can bet your last dollar that they are solely fed with corn.
    POV - Food, Inc. . Film Description | PBS

Monsanto, with the protection of the USA government has harassed farmers who feed cattle with anything except their GMO corn. The only farmer to stand up to Monsanto and win is the brilliant Percy Schmeiser. An advantage in my opinion was that he was dealing with the Canadian Supreme Court. The USA Supreme Court would automatically rule in favor of Monsanto as the lawyers have protected Monsanto in an intricate web of complex intellectual property law, as well as a bias toward big money and a big contributor to government and tax income.

The fact that Monsanto, Tyson, Perdue and Smithfield all declined to be interviewed says it all.

I have looked into meat purchase of grass fed beef and free range chicken in the past and it is increasingly more difficult to find. Also the prices have gone through the roof. As a cattle and poultry farmer stated on 'Food Inc.', it is difficult to compete against subsidised corn. However, raising cattle the right way, so they feed on grass is economical. Plus he does not need fertilizer as the cattle put it all back into the ground.

Finally, about 5 years ago I watched secret film footage from a Tyson factory and the conditions were so shockinlgly bad that I have never eaten any Tyson chicken since and will not buy any of their products in the future. Plus when I ate it in the past it was very tough textured and bland tasting.

I am glad that I gave up fast food a long time ago. 'Food Inc.' explains why that was a good idea.

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Nature's Promise chickens only say that no antibiotics are used, which is no remarkable claim any longer and it says they are vegetarian fed, they do not claim that they are 'grain fed'. So you can bet your last dollar that they are solely fed with corn.
    Thank you for this information. I will check it out further.
    ~Tammy

Forum Moderator for ~

"

As 'Food Inc.' indicated, we have to spread the word about what is going on and also we vote with our dollar bills. Go to the farmers markets as much as possible. There are 3 days of farmers markets near where I reside and there is no significant difference in food bill. I have been a vegan in the past and I significantly have reduced the amount of meat I eat. I have a 3 year old son and he likes his meat. So he gets served vegetables first and meat second. Then he also eats a good amount of fruit. I buy organic especially for his sake.

Organic Re: Perdue Chicken

whenever you see the word NATURAL on the product it means the product has NO CHEMICALLY ADDED PRESERVATIVES or if its a meat HORMONES ANTIBIOTICS or STEROIDS in it... it does NOT MEAN THAT ITS A NON GMO PRODUCT or Genetically Modified Food... NON GMO FOODS WILL USUALLY SAY IT ON THE PRODUCT OR IN THE INGREDIANTS the words NON GMO will be on it somehwere

ORGANIC FOODS are different... if the product claims to be ORGANIC than all of the ingrediants in the product have been ORGANICALLY GROWN and DO NOT HAVE PRESEVATIVES HORMONES OR ANY GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS IN IT... THESE ANIMALS ARE VEGETABLE FED AND ARE NOT FED GMO CORN

THE BEST PRODUCTS TO BUY ARE THE ONES LABELED ORGANIC AND NOT NATURAL... you can be sure no scientists has ***ed with anything in it in anyway that could potentially be dangerous to your health

I've been doing a lot of research & have now started to buy my chickens from local farmers that are reputable. Besides the hormones, antibiotics and all the other crap they put into these birds the unethical way they are treated is what really motivated me.
    I found a great farm near me that allow free range, organic feed (not corm as the main feed) and treat them ethically. I've compared their breast to a perdue breast & its unbelievable the difference. It was like comparing an A to a DD.
    Please excuse spelling errors, I'm heading to bed.

Trader

Wow do I have a lot to learn.

So,
    if I want to be sure that I am eating the best chicken
    I am looking for the Organic emblem.
    Period.
    Yes?

I imagine
    Banquet chicken nuggets are a no-no then

Unofficial Spam Catcher
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Banquet, Perdue, Tyson. The evil chicken giants that care about nothing but the mighty dollar. They have no morals or concience. It's really sad. :(
    Use Swagbucks for your search engine and earn FREE Amazon gift cards! Use_My_Referral_Link_Here_And_Get_Started

Forum Moderator for Kroger

Trader

Quote Originally Posted by sandyks View Post
    Banquet, Perdue, Tyson. The evil chicken giants that care about nothing but the mighty dollar. They have no morals or concience. It's really sad. :(
    Thanks.
    I was getting ready to go buy 10 bags of Banquet chicken nuggets today for the kids today. Kiroger has the lowest price I've ssen in a long while.

Anyone know of a healthy nugget to buy for the kids?

Unofficial Spam Catcher
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

I know that Applegate Farms has nuggets as well as Ians. I don't buy chicken nuggets, but I've seen them in the store. I love Applegate's hot dogs though. They are a very good company. Ian's I know has lots of products geared for kids (like chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc.) I haven't tried any of their products though.
    Use Swagbucks for your search engine and earn FREE Amazon gift cards! Use_My_Referral_Link_Here_And_Get_Started

Hip Hippy Hippie Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

I second the Ian's suggestion! They do have a lot of products geared towards kids and often have coupons available through Mambo Sprouts booklets or other venues. That might be a good one to contact and ask about them sending you some so that you can try their product.

Kristen

My blog: http://www.kikiverde.com
    My etsy shop: http://www.kikiverde.etsy.com
    My wishlist: coupon wishes

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

I love Applegate's hot dogs though. They are a very good company.
    I'm with Sandyks! Love the Applegate's dogs. They are the best. We also buy their deli meats (turkey, cheese, ham). That comes prepackaged as well as in the deli.

Bell & Evans has chicken nuggets and tenders. They have gf ones (which are the ones we buy). They are rather expensive, but fantastic!
    ~Tammy

Forum Moderator for ~

"

Trader

Thank you all.
    I am sold!

June 2010 Featured Member
    Trader

I'm late here, but if you have a Safeway or anything that sells O Organic products, I know they make chicken nuggets. Never had them, but I saw them once. : )
    Frequent Auto Correct Victim
    First Time Crunchy Mama, wanting to raise this little girl to be a godly, healthy, savvy young lady.

My Wishlist

Trader

Hi!
    I'm new here and had a question on the Nature's Promise after seeing your post about it being a hoax. Are you talking just about the eggs? Or all Nature Promise products?
    Thanks!

Trader

I'm not sure on that one, but someone will know or find out for you jlk! Welcome to the forums!: )
    First Time Crunchy Mama, wanting to raise this little girl to be a godly, healthy, savvy young lady.

My Wishlist

Unofficial Spam Catcher
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

We don't have that brand here in Michigan. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by charlescross View Post
    Does anyone have any definitive websites or research confirming or denying that Nature's Promise does not grass-feed their beef or grain-feed their chickens? Would love to have more info on this product line.

Thanks.

Trader

I don't think they sell it here, so this is all I know about it. Welcome to OGD though, hope to see you around! :)

My Wishlist

Natural Re: Perdue Chicken

Anyone look in to Harvestland Chicken Non Hormone/No Antibiotic poultry?

In my search for Non Hormone/No Antibiotic poultry I came across the brand
    "Harvestland" which seemed great since it is sold at the local Walmart (which makes me scared and skeptical at the same time).In doing deeper research found that they are actually a trademark owned by Perdue!! So it must be their version of the marked up "natural chicken"...although the website doesn't link itself to Perdue at all...I wonder why!!

Although in looking at the site it says that they are family farms in Kentucky and have pictures of the farm and farmers and some testimonials from the actual farmers too.The investigator in me would like to call the farm specifically to ask questions.Also what I found to be interesting is that the farm itself is listed on each package...Have to look in to it more to be sure though...

See the link below to confirm company claims and trademark:
    HARVESTLAND® Purely All-Natural Chicken

PURELY ALL-NATURAL HARVESTLAND - Trademark by Perdue Holdings, Inc. Wilmington, DE - Serial Number: 77020358

Trader

Interesting links, thanks for sharing. :) Welcome to the discussion on OGD! : )

My Wishlist

Natural Re: Perdue Chicken

Thanks for the welcome :)

I bought one of these whole chickens today. I inquired to the Heartland Company and rec'd this email response today (they also informed me of the slaughtering process which was more than I really needed to hear but glad they were willing to share I did not post it below TMI in my opinion)

"Our chickens receive 100% vegetarian feed which consists of whole grains
    and corn with no animal by-products, fats or proteins. We do use soy and
    GMO corn.

I can understand how you would be concerned about poultry raising based on
    the slaughter process. I appreciate your giving me this opportunity to
    explain the reality of the process while addressing your concerns.

First, let me assure you that we take the best care of our chickens. This
    means a lot more than just saying we follow practices that are considered
    humane. Quite simply, when we take good care of our birds, they grow up
    healthy and result in quality products."

June 2010 Mod of the Month Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by jlpeck6 View Post
    Does anyone have any definitive websites or research confirming or denying that Nature's Promise does not grass-feed their beef or grain-feed their chickens? Would love to have more info on this product line.

Thanks.
    This is the most detailed information I've been able to find on Giant's Nature's Promise brand:

GIANT® Food Stores

Both the beef and chicken are said to have a "100% vegetarian diet" and "In addition to great natural flavor, Nature’s Promise™ all natural* fresh meats also promote the healthy treatment of animals and growing practices that respect our environment and better balance within our food system."

I'd really like clarification on what those things really mean, though. You might try emailing the company. I'd be curious to hear a response.

June 2010 Mod of the Month Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Anybody read this? I heard the story on my local NPR station this morning. Perdue is local to me, so it'll be interesting to hear the community response. I'm just thankful I have a local farmer I trust to buy pastured, humanely raised chicken from.

New Jersey lawsuit targets Perdue over humane chicken marketing - baltimoresun.com

Trader

I'm too lazy to read it all again, was it here or somewhere else I heard ppl sometimes raise the chickens "with no hormones", but they've injected the eggs before they hatch. Lol What morons.

My Wishlist

A couple points to clarify. Perdue does not add arsenic to their feed. That is untrue and is documented. As for hormones and steroids they are illegal in poultry and have been for DECADES. Food Inc was incredibly biased. Books like Omnivores Dilemna do a much more balanced job in their analysis (that book also takes issue with many practices of large food companies including Perdue).

Trader

I don't remember if it was discussed here, and who is doing it, but I've heard people inject the eggs so they don't have to give the chickens hormones. I lived next to chicken houses, and I've raised normal chickens. Normal chickens don't grow to butchering size in 6-8 weeks. Mainstream butchering chickens do.

My Wishlist

The best non-organic chicken(if you must buy) is Sanderson Chicken.You can buy it at HEB and it tastes good and is affordable. My 1st choice would always be organic but i can't buy it all the time. This company does not add any additives, water,salt or nitrates to there chicken and they don't use GMO feed.
    I did hear they treat there chickens better then the people who raise them.

I have just recently begun to educate myself on the American food industry, having spent a month on my family's ranch in Colorado (taking care of livestock, attending stock shows, etc..) I learned so much about things that, it seems, the industry is very good at keeping from the general public. I'm literally ashamed of myself for being so previously ignorant. It is incredibly disturbing to read about the all the many avenues in which these giant companies can take to curb the truth. As for Perdue Chicken, I specifically wanted to look into this because I mostly purchased Purdue, great price, handy little single-serving pouches, marinated and all! Of course, that's just too good to be true. I am now looking into local farming. Does anybody have good tips for how to find legitimately organic local farmers? I'm sure this is well covered in other threads, so thanks in advance for any tips!

Default Vegetarian Fed Chickens

I'm confused how free range chickens can only be vegetarian fed. Chickens are carnivores too. They eat bugs and worms. Sooo..if they are free range, what prevents them from eating such things? A post previous said the company feeds their chickens corn. How is that healthy??

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Default Re: Vegetarian Fed Chickens

Quote Originally Posted by krislankay View Post
    Sooo..if they are free range, what prevents them from eating such things?
    Free range in the US can simply mean they have room to roam in their barn, shed or chicken coop and are only outside for a small amount of time in a small fenced space where natural pickings (grass, worms, etc...) are probably slim to none. If they're fed a vegetarian diet that is not organic, then they can be fed GMO corn.

Free-range eggs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Publix Forum Mod

Children's Clothing Boutique http://www.mylittlejules.com/?Click=12457

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by MENTAUK02 View Post
    That's even more reason for me not to buy it. I stayed away from perdue when I found out awhile ago their chicken has one of the higher concentrations of arsenic in it. Do you know that some chicken companies put arsenic in their chicken feed because it helps kill off bacteria? Yeah, it kills off bacteria AND everything else that gets exposed to it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by coliviero
    A couple points to clarify. Perdue does not add arsenic to their feed. That is untrue and is documented.
    Can you verify that claim? They never drugged their chickens with Roxarsone?

One way farmers add arsenic to chicken feed is through drugs such as Pfizer’s Roxarsone. And the industry has (as with most of its worst practices) strenuously defended the use of such additives. While the USDA has by and large ignored the risks (mostly in the form of an unwillingness to look for arsenic in chicken), finally — astonishingly — the FDA has acted.
    According to the Associated Press, the FDA has confirmed that chickens given the drug (frequently those destined for the low-cost supermarket shelf) do indeed test positive for inorganic arsenic — just as the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy found [PDF] back in 2006. Despite this earlier evidence, the industry had continued to steadfastly maintain that the arsenic could not and did not make it into the meat.

FDA admits supermarket chickens test positive for arsenic | Grist
    Publix Forum Mod

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by thinkgreen View Post
    Can you verify that claim? They [Perdue] never drugged their chickens with Roxarsone?
    Perdue, a major chicken producer in the United States, said it has not used Roxarsone in several years and saw no decline in flocks' health.
    "Perdue does not use Roxarsone or arsenic. We phased out the use of this animal health feed additive in April 2007 as we improved our flock health and management programs," spokesman Joe Forsthoffer said in an email to AFP.
    "We've found that, through improved flock health programs and housing environments, we are able to produce healthy chickens without it."

Pfizer will stop selling poultry-pumping drug: US

According to Perdue, they have not used it since 2007. But in a NYT article I read that cattle were affected too because they are sometimes fed chicken litter.
    Publix Forum Mod

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

FDA: Some Chicken May Have Small Amount of Arsenic - ABC News

The company said it is not withdrawing the ingredient immediately, so producers have time to transition their birds off the drug.
    The article was written 9 months ago. I wonder how long that transition did take or will take.
    Publix Forum Mod

Trader

Forum Moderator

Entrepreneur

Perdue did have the highest levels back in 2006, according to the following study (page 7).

http://www.iatp.org/files/421_2_80529.pdf
    Publix Forum Mod

Trader

last night I saw a commercial on tv from Perdue chicken!
    Blah blah, how friendly they have become to the chickens...
    Sounds like they have been affected by all of the negative press!!

Hip Hippy Hippie Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cody82414 View Post
    last night I saw a commercial on tv from Perdue chicken!
    Blah blah, how friendly they have become to the chickens...
    Sounds like they have been affected by all of the negative press!!
    I saw that too recently, I was really irritated because you can bet your life's savings that they haven't actually changed any of their business practices! And now they're "certified?" Certified what?
    cody82414 likes this.

Kristen

My blog: http://www.kikiverde.com
    My etsy shop: http://www.kikiverde.etsy.com
    My wishlist: coupon wishes