Trader

HELP Is there an effective difference between GNC & cheaper brands?

It is time for me to stock up on vitamins and herbs again and was wondering the difference between all the different brands as far as effectiveness. Is it necessary to buy GNC or one of the other expensive brands or is Nature's Bounty, Sundown, Rexall, CVS, etc. just as good without forking out as much cash?

Destined for Donnie
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Default Re: Is there an effective difference between GNC & cheaper brands?

JMO..I try to get all my supplements as natural as possible and stopped putting any synthetics into my body. You know how your urine is Mountain Dew neon when you take your usual supplements? I now take whole food supplements, natural vitamin E, Omega-3 supplements and and natural vitamin C...my urine is no longer neon. I recently read a couple of books and then a little workbook from the health department at my job about dyes and synthetic "stuff" in our foods and supplements. Supposedly (I'm no expert of course) our bodies are not made to break down the synthetics (since they are not necessarily REAL extracts or food supplements) and also if a pill is a color that you don't see in nature it is either synthetic or has a dye added to it that could cause other issues. I think you can find some natural alternatives (even at GNC) that aren't all that horribly priced. My Omega-3 supps are a 60 day supply that I got for $7.99 at my organic and natural food store. My whole food supps on the other hand are a 30 day supply and were $26, but I was previously taking the GNC Ultra Mega's for Women and those are pretty pricey even with a Gold Card.
    I'm sure if you check around you can find something suitable for your body and your pocketbook.
    Good luck!

Will Work for Coconut Oil
    Trader

Entrepreneur

I'm not sure, but I'd be interested in finding out too! I really don't like taking additional vitamins, b/c I think that you should be able to get most of your body's needs from the food you eat. That is the main reason why I will probably not become a vegatarian/vegan. I have cut back drastically on the meat I eat, but I don't want to need a B12 supp. if I go all out. JMO.

It is the close observation of little things which is the secret of success
    in business, in art, in science and in every pursuit of life. --Samuel Smiles

Trader

I know what you mean. I take so many pills now, for one condition or another. 3 just for my bp. Sometimes, I detest taking just my regular pills, much less ad vitamins & herbal supplements as well. But, I am trying to make myself, knowing I will feel better if I do. I know that when I was on chemo (and the doctor's didn't really expect the chemo to do much) I took 6 coral calcium caplets a day and 3 months later, no trace of cancer, where the doctor's had practically wrote me off. So, I know that supplements can help. I just don't want to waste my money buying one's that don't work or spending a lot when I can spend a little for ones' that work.

I went to Publix today and had a $3.00 off one Sundown and Publix store coupon $6/2, so I ended up paying .39 cents for a couple of bottles of energy herbs. There again, I don't know if Sundown works as well as any other, but for .39 cents, I figured I would try 'em.

Hip Hippy Hippie Earthday 2010 Pledge
    Trader

Entrepreneur

Administrator

I'm not an expert either but I would bet that the fillers used in the natural/organic brands are more body-friendly than those used in the cheaper no-name brands.

I've had problems in the past with taking multi-vitamins where they were causing me to get sick to my stomach. It turns out that I have problems with some of the fillers. When I switched brands (Nature Made) from cheaper supermarket brands like women's one-a-day the problems stopped. The supplements I take now are B-12 (former vegetarian with lifelong B12 problems because of it) and a flax oil to help protect my joints (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis).

I'm on a lot of medications too for my RA and completely understand you not wanting to put anything unnecessary into your body. My best suggestion would be to talk to your doctor and have him run a blood panel to see if you are lacking in any vitamins or minerals. If you are, you may be able to increase foods that are rich in those things. If it's an absorption problem such as with b12 they can monitor that and help you decide on the correct dosage.

Kristen

Read my blog: http://www.kikiverde.com
    Shop my inspirational artwork and handcrafted jewelry: http://www.kikiverde.etsy.com
    My wishlist (not currently up-to-date): coupon wishes

Trader

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

Thank you sooo much!!! I appreciate all the words of wisdom!!!